There are two ways to upload your website or to edit, rename, move or manage your website files:
- File Manager:
This method is very easy and requires no extra software.
- Login to cPanel.
- Click 'File Manager' then click the folder name public_html on the left.
- Click 'Upload'.
- Drop or select your files and wait for the upload to complete.
- If you wish to upload folders using the File Manager, you must first create a zip file containing your folder(s) and upload the zip file. Then in File Manager, highlight the file and click 'Extract'.
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol):
This method is usually easier if you regularly upload lots of files/folders to your account. You will need FTP software such as WS-FTP or CuteFTP. Or if you're using website design software, FTP may be inbuilt into your software. Whichever software you choose, you will need to enter the following settings:
- Host Name/Address: ftp.yourdomain.com (replace yourdomain.com with your own domain name).
- Username/User ID: Your account admin username
- Password: Your account admin password
- Upload folder: Your website must be uploaded to the folder public_html.
Your homepage should be called index.html or index.htm or index.php depending on the format of your page. You should delete or rename the default index.html which is already in the public_html folder.
Remember, whichever method you choose to upload your site, your website MUST be uploaded to the folder called public_html
for it to be visible online. Navigate to that folder before uploading your website files/folders.